The Community Service Assistant (CSA) position is primarily a field based position which plays an important role as an interface between our In-Line Chlorination (ILC) intervention and the communities we serve. This position ensures sufficient and uninterrupted supply of chlorine and service/maintenance of the installed ILC devices. This in turn enables the community to access safe water hence improving their livelihood through reduction of waterborne diseases.
Six (6) positions are open in the following districts; Blantyre, Balaka, Mangochi, and Zomba. Please indicate your location of preference in your application.
Duties and responsibilities
- Conducting ILC device hardware service and maintenance through regular spot checks to ensure proper functionality
- Delivering chlorine, via motorcycle, to ILC Devices located at water points, as assigned
- Measuring chlorine levels and adjusting ILC devices to ensure proper chlorine levels
- Accessing ILC devices, often on elevated storage tank planforms, to adjust dose and restock chlorine
- Ensure safe handling and accountability of chlorine and ILC device part stocks in the store, office and designated sites
- Proper record keeping by completing relevant forms, documents, and records that are important in inventory tracking
- Engaging the target community and promoter volunteers to promote ILC device usage, handle any/all possible challenges, and report the same to the supervisor
- Collecting all field data for program assessment and accountability, by use of smartphones
- Maintaining high integrity and stewardship of the organizational assets and program field materials assigned for work execution
Key Performance Indicators
- Chlorine stock out rates
- ILC device functionality rates
- Sustained Functional ILC Device numbers
- Promoter enganement
- At least a minimum of a diploma in communication, Community work, Social work, project management or equivalent.
- Computer literacy is a must.
- Stock management experience/qualifications are an added advantage
- 1-2 years of experience working with communities or social enterprises/NGOs
- Motorcycle riding experience with a valid driving license from a recognized driving school is a MUST
- Fluency in English and Chichewa. proficiency in other local languages is an added advantage.
Required Competencies and Attributes
- Excellent communication skills and good public relations
- High level discipline and good character while engaging with the community and their leaders, program teams and managers.
- Community service attitude/ passion to work in a rural community setting
- High level of integrity and stewardship
- Embraces team work and enjoys working in a team work environment as a team champion
- Good computer, data entry, and data management skills
- Positive attitude to work and to develop in a fast paced work environment
- Basic plumbing and pipe fitting skills and experience will be an added advantage.
The Community Service Assistant (CSA) position is primarily a field based position involving working in the field 90% of the time. This involves maneuvering in rural setting terrains with chlorine loads on motorcycles for distribution to the designated representative(s) at each water point fitted with ILC device.
- Position requires ability to ride a motorcycle.
- Position requires ability and comfort with heights as it involves climbing ladders and accessing water storage tanks at heights.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Closing date for receiving applications will be on Friday, 22nd September 2023
Equal Opportunity Statement
Evidence Action does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.