The Officer position is primarily a field-based position which plays an important role in the expansion of Chlorine Dispenser and In-Line chlorination programs in delivering safe water and hygiene knowledge in the targeted communities. The officer position will be based at our Zomba field office and reports to the Associate Engineering.
- Responsible for the chlorine dispenser and ILC devices maintenance in the field within the set quality standards;
- Material inventory and maintaining appropriate security during Safe Water device assembly and after;
- Dispensers and ILC parts repairs and maintenance at field level
- General support to the team by raising engineering technical defects on the hardware parts that needs to be attended to;
- Monitoring hardware components failure/defects during assembly and informing the Associate, engineering.
- To support on new researches and innovation by carrying out bench trails at the workshop/laboratory level
- Carrying out post-installation quality checks for leaks, chlorine levels, and correcting where necessary.
- Carrying out chlorine dosing calibrations and testing using advanced kits ie, digital colorimeter, color wheel etc
Required Competencies and Attributes
- High level of integrity and stewardship
- Embraces team work and aspires and supports the ideals of working in a team work environment as a team champion
- Passion to work in a rural community setting and willingness to use a motorcycle in the field (riding or being ridden)
- Flexible mindset and willingness to relocate on a short notice to other field-based assignments in other regions.
- Self-driven and highly motivated to deliver results within tight deadlines.
- Good communication skills and mobilization skills. Ability to communicate well within the organization and with the rural communities and local leaders
- Basic leadership skills in managing people, working with communities and teams
- Good computer skills and comfort to advance the skills in a dynamic IT field.
- Proactive and ambitious to support innovation and change in a dynamic working environment
- Attitude. Positive attitude to work and to develop in a fast-paced work environment
- Position requires ability and comfort climbing ladders and accessing water storage tanks at heights in the event you are asked to join the field team.
- Diploma in mechanical engineering or general fitting, manufacturing and water engineering with some relevant experience, building and construction, plumbing, welding or any other related vocational skills.
- Experience in manufacturing industry, plastics production and assempling e.t.c
- Basic knowledge in fabrication, pipe works, plumbing skills and experience
- Good language skills in English and Chichewa both spoken and written. Proficiency in speaking other local languages used in target areas is a definite advantage.
- 1-2 years’ experience working with WASH programs or water related industries communities or social enterprises/NGOs
- Motorcycle riding skills with a valid riding license.
- Position requires ability to ride a motorcycle.
- Position requires ability and comfort with heights as it involves climbing ladders and accessing water storage tanks at heights.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Closing date for receiving applications will be on Friday, 22nd September 2023
Equal Opportunity Statement
Evidence Action does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.