Principal Program Officer (Preparedness & Response) (AfCDC)
Location: Ethiopia, Ethiopia
Organization: African Union
• Respect for Diversity and Team work • Think Africa Above all
• Transparency and Accountability • Integrity and Impartiality
• Efficiency and Professionalism • Information and Knowledge Sharing
Reports to: Head of Division Emergency Preparedness and Response
Directorate/Department/Organ: Africa CDC
Division: Office of the Deputy Director General
Number of Direct Reports: 0
Number of Indirect Reports: 0
Job Grade: P4
Number of Positions: 1
Contract Type: Regular
Location: Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Purpose of Job
The Principal Programme Officer, Preparedness and Response is responsible for leading and coordinating the African CDC’s activities related to public health emergencies and disasters, including outbreak detection, investigation, response, recovery and prevention. The Principal Programme Officer Preparedness and Response reports to the Head of Division Emergency Preparedness and Response and works closely with other divisions, regional collaborating centers, national public health institutes, partners and stakeholders to ensure effective and timely emergency preparedness and response across the continent.
• Develop and implement policies, strategies, plans and guidelines for emergency preparedness and response in alignment with the African CDC’s vision, mission and strategic objectives.
• Provide technical guidance and support to member states, regional collaborating centers and national public health institutes on emergency preparedness and response, including risk assessment, surveillance, laboratory, case management, infection prevention and control, logistics, communication and coordination.
• Lead and coordinate the African CDC’s emergency operations center and rapid response teams, ensuring adequate staffing, training, equipment, supplies and resources for effective emergency response.
• Monitor and evaluate the performance and impact of the emergency preparedness and response activities, ensuring quality assurance, accountability and learning.
• Establish and maintain strong partnerships and collaboration with relevant regional and international organizations, donors, civil society and media on emergency preparedness and response issues.
• Represent the African CDC in regional and global forums, meetings and conferences on emergency preparedness and response, advocating for the interests and needs of the continent.
• Manage the budget, human resources and administration of the emergency preparedness and response programme, ensuring compliance with the African Union rules and regulations.
• Perform any other duties as assigned by the Head of the Division, the Director of the Centre for Public Health Emergency Management or the Director General of the African CDC, as required.
• Lead the development and implementation of the Africa CDC’s emergency preparedness and response strategic plan.
• Develop and manage emergency response plans for a range of public health threats, including epidemics, pandemics, and natural disasters.
• Provide technical support to Member States and partners in developing their own emergency preparedness and response plans.
• Coordinate the development and delivery of training and capacity building programmes in emergency preparedness and response.
• Monitor and evaluate the effectiveness of the Africa CDC’s emergency preparedness and response programmes.
• Represent the Africa CDC at international meetings and events on emergency preparedness and response
Academic Requirements and Relevant Experience
• Master’s Degree with ten (10) years or Bachelor’s Degree in Public Health, Epidemiology, Health Services Research, Health Outcomes Research, Biostatistics, Environmental Science or Decision Sciences with twelve (12) years relevant work experience in leading and managing complex humanitarian programs in various contexts, including conflict, natural disasters, and protracted crises. Six years and three years out of total work experience should be at expert and supervisory levels respectively.
• Experience in successfully designing, implementing, and monitoring emergency response and preparedness projects in collaboration with local partners, donors, and government authorities.
• Proven track record in delivering high-quality results under challenging conditions and tight deadlines.
• Passionate about humanitarian principles and committed to ensuring the protection and dignity of the most vulnerable populations.
• Demonstrated skills in strategic planning, budgeting, team management, and coordination with multiple stakeholders.
• Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
TENURE OF APPOINTMENT:
The appointment will be made on a regular term contract for a period of three (3) years, of which the first twelve months shall be considered as a probationary period. Thereafter, the contract will be for a period of two years renewable, subject to satisfactory performance and deliverables.
The AU Commission is an equal opportunity employer and qualified women are strongly encouraged to apply.
Proficiency in one of the AU working languages (Arabic, English, French, Portuguese, and Spanish) and fluency in another AU language is an added advantage
Indicative basic salary of US$ 42,879.00 (P4 Step1) per annum plus other related entitlements e.g. Post adjustment (46% of basic salary), Housing allowance US$ 26,208.00 (per annum), and education allowance (100% of tuition and other education-related expenses for every eligible dependent up to a maximum of US$ 10,000.00 per child per annum), for internationally recruited staff and a maximum of $3,300 per child per annum for locally recruited staff
Applications must be submitted no later than October 5, 2023 11h59 p.m. EAT.
-Only candidates who meet all job requirements and are selected for interviews will be contacted.
-Consideration will be given only to those candidates who have submitted a fully completed online application with a curriculum vitae (CV), an African passport, and the required academic qualifications, such as Diplomas, Bachelor’s degrees, Master’s degrees and any relevant certificate in line with the area of expertise.
-The African Union is an equal opportunity employer, and female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit jobs.au.int.