TB Diagnostic Specialist
- Lilongwe, Malawi
- time type
- Full time
- posted on
- Posted Today
- job requisition id
- Requisition – 2023200176
The TB Diagnostics Specialist will be responsible for supporting, strengthening, and maintaining the tuberculosis (TB) diagnostic network, providing mentorship to key national stakeholders, and supporting key laboratories to obtain or maintain accreditation. This includes strengthening laboratory systems, primarily in public health but also private health and other non-governmental laboratories. This position reports to the TB Coordinator but will also be working closely with the TB Strategic Lead, Country Coordination team, IDDS Diagnostic Lead, and Regional Diagnostics Advisor. The TB Diagnostic Specialist will be seconded to the NTRL to support capacity building and provide on-site support to NTRL staff.
To help us track our recruitment/procurement effort, please indicate in your cover/motivation letter where (http://ntchito.com) you saw this posting
- Implement tuberculosis-focused technical assistance, diagnostic network and facilities strengthening, and quality improvement interventions in line with national priorities.
- Support developing or updating national diagnostic network strategic plans, SOPs, and policies.
- Review adherence to diagnostic algorithms and use of those algorithms to make clinical decisions.
- Conducts assessments of diagnostic facilities and the follow-up of corrective and preventive actions and initiatives.
- Provides technical oversight for data management and reporting of MDR TB and monitors and reports progress with diagnostic network enhancement activities as per the approved country workplan.
- Work collaboratively and coordinate with other technical staff as well as project partners on development and implementation of the project workplans.
- Build capacity in local TB diagnostic stakeholders and leaders to identify and oversee enhancements in diagnostic networks.
- Provide technical assistance and training to TB diagnostic facilities and the overall diagnostic network as part of overall capacity building and continuous improvement programs.
- Support strategies to ensure functional TB diagnostic equipment including systems to maintain laboratory equipment, securing maintenance contracts, and establishing a cadre of trained biomedical engineers.
- Build capacity of TB laboratories to perform more TB diagnostic tests (culture, Xpert, drug sensitivity tests, and line probe assay including resistance to second line drugs).
- Develop and implement a package of comprehensive and linked interventions enabling functional GX sites at the national and sub national levels.
- Work closely with the IDDS team to define and adjust annual work plans as well as implementing technical activities.
- Coordinate and work with a diverse group of national organizations including the Government and other diagnostic network leaders, development partners, other regional and global IDDS staff and USAID.
- Follow established processes to guarantee the technical and programmatic quality of IDDS work in Malawi.
- A minimum of a BSc in clinical diagnostics, laboratory science, or an equivalent. A master’s degree will be an added advantage.
- At least four years of experience in TB-focused diagnostic strengthening and capacity building in the country.
- Technical competency in the diagnosis of infectious diseases (including TB) and AMR including specific hands-on diagnostics experience.
- Competent in current diagnostic methods for tuberculosis including point-of-care tests.
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Strong interpersonal skills in facilitation and stakeholder engagement/coordination
- Willingness and ability to travel up to 25% of the time.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 will consider for employment all qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable state and local laws.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.